Dining Nook Update + My Review Of Our New Dining Table

Sunday, June 13, 2021



This post has been a long, loonnngggg time coming. We're talking SIX YEARS long. And I'm here to tell you that sometimes, the wait is worth it.


When Dan and I got married six years ago, we lived in a tiny, dingy basement apartment in Boston (I still can't believe I started Collectiv Co. there!). The space was so small we had to get the tiniest IKEA table available and even then it was almost too big, haha. 


When we moved back to Utah a few years later, we moved into a bigger apartment, and later our home, and the table was way too small in both spaces. The moment we walked through our house for the first time and I saw the dining nook area, I knew exactly what I wanted: a floating bench along the bay window (a childhood DREAM- anybody else??) and a big, beautiful table where we could finally sit with friends and family and share a meal together! 


I had a vision in mind for the table I wanted, and spent hours, and hours, and HOURS looking for a table that matched my vision. I wanted something that mimicked the look and style of the bench at the foot of our bed. The #1 question I get asked daily is "where is that bench from?! I need it!" Well, I made it. After searching for months to find something like it I determined there was nothing out there so I made it myself. Buuttt I didn't feel like my skills could translate into making a quality dining table. It was extremely frustrating because it felt like just like with the bench, the table I had in my mind simply didn't exist anywhere. I really didn't want to compromise my vision but it had been years and I was starting to give up hope. 


That's when Sixpenny worked their magic yet again.  


I was perusing their website one day and noticed a new dining table - The Kai Dining Table - and couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was my dream table in every way! Let me break it down for you why this table was worth the wait.



Size: One thing that was really important to me was having a dining table that wasn't too narrow. I love having a centerpiece - a bowl of fruit, a vase of greenery, candles, etc - and I wanted a table that allowed me to have a centerpiece without feeling too squished when the table was in use. All of the tables that were wide enough (at least 40") were way too long, and any table that was the right length was way too narrow. The Kai dining table has, in my opinion, perfect dimensions. It's 80" long and 42" wide and we LOVE IT. It feels so roomy and the proportions look *chef's kiss* SO GOOD.




Material: The table is made from reclaimed Austrian oak - like literally sourced from old structures in Austria. How freaking cool is that?! Just like the bench in our bedroom, it has a very natural, rustic look to it. You know we have a deep love affair for all things vintage, and I absolutely love that our table is made from old, reclaimed materials. It has a deep grain and lived in feel that evolves and patinas beautifully with time and use just like a good leather or unlacquered brass does. I love that it's perfectly imperfect, so there's no fear of a scratch or stain standing out. 






Wood tone: Not too light, not too dark; not too warm, not too cool. The oak is an absolutely gorgeous mid-tone that makes it so easy to style with. You could pair just about any chair with it, and it compliments any decor style. We have a lot of natural wood in our great room - wood floors, wood cabinets in the kitchen,  wooden chairs, wooden side tables - and the Kai dining table compliments the other wood tones beautifully.




Style: Size and functionality are of course important, but style is important, too! Like our bench, I wanted something that blended minimal and modern with vintage and rustic. I love the clean lines and thoughtful details like the cut out in the legs, and how that balances with the organic movement in the grain of the wood. It's exactly what I was dreaming of and I'm so happy that it finally exists!





Quality: Lastly, the quality of the materials, the attention to detail, and the handmade nature make this table an heirloom quality piece meant to last many lifetimes. This table is the REAL DEAL. My husband always jokes (but is totally serious) that if there's an earthquake he is headed straight under our table, and it honestly isn't a bad idea ha! It is SOLID and STURDY. I have two messy boys and their favorite place to race cars is on our dining table, and I love that I can let them play on it without worrying that they'll scratch or dent it and ruin the look of it. 




Every time I've ordered from Sixpenny (and yes I did just order another one of their sofas for our master bedroom and I'm so excited!) the whole process has been wonderful. I've had fabulous experiences with their white glove delivery (which is NOT the case with all furniture companies as I'm sure you know!) and really, I just can't rave enough about Sixpenny or our dining table!

Stay tuned for our DIY tutorial on the floating bench, coming soon! I'm obsessed with how it turned out, and have way too much fun styling pillows on it :) 

xoxo,

Ally

No comments

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.