DESIGNER SPOTLIGHT: AUDREY SCHECK

Thursday, April 28, 2022

 


A few years ago, I stumbled across the most beautiful home belonging to Audrey Scheck on Instagram. Her account immediately became a favorite of mine to follow. Every detail of her home moved and inspired me - the soulful layers, use of natural woods and raw materials, the warmth and light and impeccable mix of colors and patterns sprinkled throughout. Talk about my dream home!

So when she opened her own Interior Design Firm just over a year ago, I was so excited and knew I wanted to learn more about her life and design process. I'm so honored she agreed to be the first in our new Designer Spotlight series! Read on to learn more about her life, journey and design work.



1. Can you tell us a little about yourself and your journey getting into interior design? 

I received my degree in advertising from the University of Texas at Austin and worked in the ad industry for a decade before stepping away to spend time with my two young children. I always had a passion for home design, and I spent several years sourcing and selling vintage goods while learning all I could about home construction, design, and remodeling. After renovating our home and sharing about the experience, I started to get inquiries from others to see if I would help them with their own homes. I launched Audrey Scheck Design in March 2021, and we are now a team of nine servicing clients across the nation. 

2. How would you describe your design style? 

My style has always centered around mixing vintage and new items to make a space feel layered, warm, and welcoming. I gravitate toward neutral earth tones and love to mix textures and patterns to create vignettes that are timeless yet interesting. 

3. We absolutely LOVE your newly renovated home! What has been your favorite part of the home to renovate, and which has been the most challenging? 

Thank you so much! My favorite part of renovating our current home was working with new materials. I used marble for the first time and had so much fun incorporating it throughout our home - on countertops, shower curbs, and our fireplace. I also got to explore with new types of glass, tile installations, and exterior improvements which made it really fun! The most challenging part was designing and project managing most of the remodel from afar. We purchased the house during the beginning of the pandemic and never saw it in person until we moved to Texas from California several months later. 

4. Do you have a favorite room to design for others? 

Bathrooms are definitely my favorite spaces to design. There is so much creativity that goes into selecting all of the necessary finishes, and I always feel like bathroom renovations make such a huge difference in the value and function of someone's home. 

5. What do you love most about your job as an interior designer? 

I love being able to help our clients transform their homes, and I really value the connection we build with them during the process. It has been so much fun building relationships with our clients, vendors, and my team. I feel so lucky!  

6. What advice would you give to someone who wants to get started in interior design, but doesn't know where to begin? 

I would advise them to start small by working on their own home. I spent four years remodeling our spaces before I launched ASD, and I will forever cherish the lessons I learned during that time. I still use my own house as my space for "continued education." I test trends and materials at my house before I recommend them to clients, and it helps me feel confident in recommending different ideas and approaches.

7. What is one design element you'll always love, regardless of trends?

I will never tire of incorporating raw wood pieces into designs. Whether it's a live edge coffee table or a reclaimed beam mantle, I love the warmth that raw wood brings into a room.

8. What inspires you? 

I am constantly inspired by vintage pieces. I get so much gratification out of sourcing the perfect vintage piece to ground a room, and I draw inspiration from various periods in time when those pieces were originally manufactured. 

9. What's next for Audrey Scheck Design? 

We recently moved into our first office space here in Austin, which we are really excited about! It's so nice to have a home base for the team and to have a space for our clients to visit for in-person design presentations. We also recently hired a communications team to interview current and former clients so we could fine-tune our process based on their experience. The feedback has been invaluable, and it has already helped us improve the business so much.  








I can't even handle how beautiful our throws and pillows look in her home! Shop the Kantha QuiltWoven Linen PillowBhujodi Pillow and Block Print Pillow








I hope you've enjoyed getting to know more about Audrey and the incredible design work she does. Her work reflects the beautiful person that she is and I can't wait to see what the future has in store for her and her team. Be sure to give her a follow on Instagram, and reach out if you're looking for help with a design project!

xoxo,
Ally

Photography by: Cate Black and Madeline Harper


No comments

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.